With the super cheap seatsales being offered by different airlines and the booming Hallyu influence in the country, South Korea has been one of the dream destinations of many people. Of course, I am one of them. My addiction to anything and everything Korean (food, music, shows) has led me to apply for that elusive visa.
1. Download the Application Form from the embassy’s website.
2. Fill out the form and complete all the requirements stated on the second page of the form.
3. Go to the Korean Embassy located at McKinley Hill. Processing time is from 9-11AM, Monday to Friday.
4. Be there early as the line easily gets long. Register first at the guard and get your visitor pass.
5. Upon entering the building, fall in line at the desk near the door where you will see some of the Embassy’s staff and policemen seating.
6. Provide all your requirements (We provided the following: passport, photocopy of passport’s bio page, passport photo, COE, Bank Certificate and ITR). The person in-charge will then give you your queue number.
7. Wait for your number to be called or shown at the window. There are 2 windows that are mainly serving the visa appications. I think Window 1 is for non-frequent traveler and Window 2 is for those who have visa of OECD countries.
8. When your number gets called, go immediately to the window and submit your requirements. The staff will briefly check your requirements then give you a slip indicating your passport details and the releasing date. By 9:30 we were already done and still had time to have a quick breakfast at the nearby Jollibee.
10. Come releasing time, you may opt to go there early since line also gets long fast. But you may also want to go there 30 minutes before closing.
11. Again fall in line at the desk near the door and get your queue number.
12. Wait for your number to be called and present your slip to the staff.
13. Open your passport and look for your visa (or a note stating why your visa was not granted.😦 )
Requirements for Employed Filipinos traveling to Korea for vacation:
- Application Form (We wrote “vacation” as the purpose of our trip. Since we already have a hostel in mind, we wrote that under the place to stay. Just put “undecided” if you do not have a preferred hostel/hotel yet. For the rest of the items that you cannot answer, just put “n/a”.)
- 1 pc of Passport size colored picture (should be pasted on the form)
- Original Passport (should be valid for more than 6 months)
- Photocopy of Passport Bio-page (page 2)
- Original & Photocopy of valid visa/s and arrival stamps to OECD member countries for the past 5 years (If applicable, and Korean Visas will not be counted)
- Original Certificate of Employment (with contact number/s & address of company and date of issue)
- Original Personal Bank Certificate (NOT Bank Statement) – I got mine from BDO and they charge Php100. You can get your Bank Cert the following day. While we were chatting with the staff at BDO, she told us that the amount they will put on our Bank Cert is the current balance in our account, as per bank’s regulation. So we did not specify any amount anymore. But just to be safe, my friend has Php50k in his account and his visa was granted. Mine was higher. Hehe :P)
- Photocopy of ITR (Income Tax Return) or Form 2316
- If personally invited by Korean : Invitation Letter & Copy of invitor’s Passport
- If invited by Company in Korea: Invitation Letter & Copy of Korean Company Business Permit
Visa Application Time:
- 9-11 AM, Monday-Friday
- Releasing Time: 2-4 PM, Monday-Friday
- 3 working days (for those who have visas of OECD member countries)
- 5 working days (for those who do not have visas of OECD member countries
- 59 days (or less) stay in Korea — GRATIS
- 60 to 90 days stay in Korea — PHP1,800.00
Embassy of the Republic of Korea in the Republic of the Philippines
Address : 122 Upper McKinley Road, McKinley Town Center, Fort Bonifacio, Taguig city 1634, Philippines
Tel : (63-2) 856-9210
Fax : (63-2) 856-9008
Hours of Operation : Monday~Friday 08:30~17:30