* This post is intended as the second part of my Passport Application post.
Last Wednesday, I accompanied my Mom on her passport renewal. I scheduled her appointment one month before the application date. I chose the earliest time which is 10:00am.
Come her appointment day, the traffic was terrible so we arrived at the DFA SM Megamall at 10:20am. Many people were already inside the Processing Section so we had to wait for her number to be called. Just like in my previous post, present your Appointment and Application Forms before entering the Processing Section for validation. Then get your number at the Queuing Machine. Make sure to select the correct button – whether you’re there for New Application, Renewal, or Lost Passport.
We waited for 30 minutes before my Mom’s number was called. While waiting, there was a guy (who looked like a game show master) who was giving instructions and tips to everyone especially with the requirements. He already instructed my Mom to sign the Application form before going to the processing window.
My Mom’s first passport was the old brown one that was issued in 1991.
Requirements collected by the DFA Officer:
1. Original NBI Clearance
2. Original NSO Marriage Contract (We changed her passport from Single to Married)
3. Photocopy of old passport (Page 1,2,3,4 and last page)
We also showed the original brown passport. Then the staff punched the first page before returning it to us. Yes, do not forget to get your expired passport especially if it has visas.
After checking all the requirements, we were directed to the Payment Section where my Mom paid Php950.00 for the normal processing.
Then we proceeded directly to the Encoding Section where my Mom’s biometrics were taken – photo, signature, and finger print. It only took us five minutes in the Payment section and five minutes in the Encoding Section.
Viola! We were done processing my Mom’s passport renewal in just 45 minutes.
It really pays when you have all the requirements photocopied and prepared.
OVERHEARD (while waiting for our turn):
1. If you are a new graduate or do not have work yet, bring your college ID and transcript of records (original and photocopy). Those are valid requirements. For college students currently enrolled, aside from your ID, you may also bring your School Registration form (original and photocopy).
2. Postal ID is not acceptable.
3. In case you do not have NSO birth certificate/marriage contract yet (which are the most important requirements), there’s an NSO processing section near the DFA – same day processing.
4. For private employees, aside from your company ID, bring your SSS E1-form (original and photocopy).
5. NBI clearance is one of the most dependable requirements aside from the NSO birth certificate. So if you do not have any valid ID yet, get one before your DFA appointment.
6. Always bring the original and photocopy of your requirements. It will lessen you processing time and expenses (since photocopying inside the DFA is a little expensive).
For other tips – how to schedule an appointment, processing fee, courier services, list of requirements, you may refer to my earlier post about passport application here: Passport Application at DFA SM Megamall.